region-news
Flash is not supported on this device. If you wish to listen to this audio, you must download and play an mp3 using an mp3 player on your device. CLICK HERE

Press the play button to hear the latest news from THE REGION.


Region-News-Team-Black-Logo

Frigid Air Next Week, Use Caution with Heating Equipment

Share this post

Indiana State Fire Marshal
Another blast of frigid air is expected to descend on the Hoosier state starting Monday. Indiana Assistant State Fire Marshal Robert Johnson is urging Hoosiers to exercise caution when using heating equipment, such as wood stoves or space heaters, to heat their homes. Johnson says keep any and all combustibles away from space heaters and most importantly, make sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
Indiana State Fire Marshal Jim Greeson says, “We have already seen the tragic consequences of the improper use of heating equipment in Indiana this year,” said Indiana State Fire Marshal Jim Greeson. “Three children perished in a Hammond house fire as a result of a propane-fueled space heater being near combustible material.” An electric space heater is blamed for a recent house fire in Crown Point, which fire officials say overloaded an electric circuit, which started a fire inside a wall. To hear more our interview, click News Audio On Demand at http://regionnewsteam.com/

Things to keep in mind when using heating equipment:

Space heaters

  • Space heaters need space. Keep heaters away from flammable materials such as bedding, drapes, clothing, etc.
  • Use the proper grade of fuel for your liquid-fueled space heater and never use gasoline in any heater not approved for gasoline use. 
  • Refuel space heaters only in a well ventilated area and when the equipment is cool.
  • Plug power cords only into outlets with sufficient capacity, never into an extension cord. 
  • Turn off space heaters whenever the room they are in is unoccupied. 
  • Turn off space heaters when you go to bed each night to avoid knocking them over in the dark.

Woodstoves or fireplaces

  • Use only dry, seasoned wood in a fireplace or woodstove to avoid the build-up of creosote, an oily deposit that easily catches fire.
  • Use only paper or kindling wood, not a flammable liquid, to start the fire. Do not use artificial logs in woodstoves.
  • Make sure your fireplace has a sturdy screen to prevent sparks from flying into the room.
  • Allow fireplace and woodstove ashes to cool before disposing in a metal container, which is kept a safe distance from your home.

Generators

  • Never use a generator inside.
  • Place emergency generators outdoors away from windows and doors to prevent fumes from entering the home.
  • Have a carbon monoxide detector in the house that sounds an alarm when dangerous carbon monoxide levels are found.


Meet-The-Team

Laura-WAKE Scott-WAKE Brent-WAKE
LAURA WALUSZKO
Region News Team
SCOTT ROSENBERG
Region News Team
BRENT BROWN
Region News Team
Jay-WAKE Karl-WAKE Annie-WAKE
JAY STEVENS
Region News Team
KARL BERNER
Region News Team
ANNIE FOX
Region News Team

Recent-Newscast

Flash is not supported on this device. If you wish to listen to this audio, you must download and play an mp3 using an mp3 player on your device. CLICK HERE