Press the play button to hear the latest news from THE REGION.
Vector Control is conducting the mosquito adulticiding (spraying for adult mosquito control.) The department started spraying on the outer perimeter of the city in late June and will continue working their way into the middle of the city until all areas have been treated. At that point, the process will start over again and spraying will continue until the mosquitoes are no longer a nuisance.
In addition to the adulticiding, vector control is also larvaciding low lying areas where there is standing water. With the excessive rain and warm temperatures, mosquitoes are particularly thick this season. Residents can help alleviate the breeding of new mosquitoes by addressing these items on their property:
- Get rid of old tires, tin cans, buckets, drums, bottles or any water holding containers
- Fill in or drain any low places (puddles, ruts) in yard
- Clean gutters periodically
- Keep drains, ditches & culverts clean of weeds & trash so water will drain properly
- Cover trash containers to keep out rain water
- Repair leaky pipes & outside faucets
- Empty plastic wading pools at least once a week & store them indoors when not in use
- Make sure your backyard pool is properly cared for while on vacation
- Fill in tree rot holes & hollow stumps that hold water with sand or concrete
- Change water in bird baths & plant pots or drip trays at least once a week
- Keep grass cut short & shrubbery well trimmed around the house so adult mosquitoes will not hide there
The City of Michigan City would like to thank our citizens for their patience and active participation in these efforts.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Vector Control Department at 873-1500.
# # #
|< Prev||Next >|