Press the play button to hear the latest news from THE REGION.
Of the 2,250 hours of summer, countless are spent vacationing, gardening or just enjoying time in the sun. By setting aside just one of those hours to donate blood through the American Red Cross, you can help save the lives of up to three people and give them the gift of summertime, too.
“We’re asking you to set aside one hour of your summer to give blood and help those in need,” said Sharyn Whitman, CEO for the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross. “Every two seconds someone needs a blood transfusion in the United State. We need everyone who is eligible to donate to make an appointment to give.”
The need for blood often increases during the summer when vacation travel and activities increase the chance of serious accidents which may require lifesaving or sustaining care. At the same time, the blood supply can dwindle as donors become busy with summertime fun and overlook giving blood.
While all blood types are needed, Type O is in highest demand because it’s the only type that be transfused to patients in other blood groups such as A, B and AB. Hospitals also use Type O-negative blood in most emergency trauma cases when a patient’s blood type isn’t known.
The Red Cross is encouraging Type O donors to schedule and keep appointments, or to optimize their donation by making a double red cell donation. Donors who meet certain criteria may be eligible to safely donate two units of red cells through the automated donation process.
“Depending on your schedule, a double red cell donation may be ideal for you since you can give twice as much in just one visit,” said Whitman. “Whatever your blood type, however you give, someone needs you.”
The Next American Red Cross blood drive in the Region will be held on Monday, Aug. 5, from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Northwest Indiana Church of Christ in the Main Room, located at 1123 Merrillville Road in Crown Point.
UPCOMING AMERICAN RED CROSS BLOOD DRIVES IN YOUR AREA:
· Friday, Aug. 16, from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Culver’s, located at 980 W. Lincoln Highway in Schererville. Come to donate and receive a Culver's Frozen Custard coupon good for one pint of frozen custard.
· Friday, Aug. 16, from noon until 4 p.m. at the Radisson Hotel at Star Plaza in Celebrity West, located at 800 E. 81st Ave. in Merrillville.
· Sunday, Aug. 18, from 8:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. at Our Lady of Consolation in Vamos Hall, located at 8303 Taft St. in Merrillville.
· Monday, Aug. 19, from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m. at St. John Township Community Center in the Hall, located at 1515 Lincoln Highway in Schererville.
· Wednesday, Aug. 21, from 2:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. at Prairie Point, located at 9123 Cleveland St. in Merrillville. Come to donate and receive a Culver's Frozen Custard coupon good for one pint of frozen custard.
· Thursday, Aug. 22, from noon until 6 p.m. at St. Paul Lutheran Church in the Meeting Hall, located at 106 East 1100 North in Chesterton.
· Thursday, Aug. 22, from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m. at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church in the Community Room, located at 509 W. Division Road in Valparaiso.
· Friday, Aug. 23, from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. at Midwest Services Center, LLC, located at 408 S. Shelby St. in Hobart.
· Saturday, Aug. 24, from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m. at the Eagles in the Hall, located at 13140 Lake Shore Drive in Cedar Lake. This blood drive is dedicated In Memory Of Miranda Jackson and Dave Marine.
· Sunday, Aug. 25, from 12:30 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. at the First Baptist Church in Building T, located at 484 Willow Court in Hammond. Come to donate and be entered into a drawing for a $100 gift card from Best Buy.
· Monday, Aug. 26, from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Valparaiso University, located at 1509 Campus Drive in Valparaiso. Come to donate and be entered into a drawing for a $25 shopping spree.
· Monday, Aug. 26, from 2:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. at Hobart Community Center, located at 111 E. Old Ridge Road in Hobart.
· Tuesday, Aug. 27, from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. at Franciscan Omni Health & Fitness in the Fitness Center, located at 810 Michael Drive in Chesterton.
· Wednesday, Aug. 28, from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. at the YMCA, located at 1201 Cumberland Crossing Drive in Valparaiso.
· Thursday, Aug. 29, from 9:30 a.m. until noon at Purdue North Central, located at 600 Vale Park Road in Valparaiso.
· Thursday, Aug. 29, from 2 p.m. until 4:30 p.m. at Porter Starke Services, located at 701 Wall St. in Valparaiso.
· Friday, Aug. 30, from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Culver’s, located at 2101 LaPorte Ave. in Valparaiso. Come to donate and receive a Culver's Frozen Custard coupon good for one pint of frozen custard and a t-shirt while supplies last.
· The Merrillville Donor Center, located at 791 E. 83rd Ave. in Merrillville, is open every Monday from 12:30 p.m. until 5 p.m. and the first and third Saturday of each month from 8 a.m. until noon.
How to Donate Blood
To schedule an appointment to donate please call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org for more information. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in Indiana and Ohio), meet weight and height requirements (110 pounds or more, depending on their height) and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. Please bring your Red Cross blood donor card or other form of positive ID when you come to donate.
About the American Red Cross
The Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region serves northern and central Indiana and northwestern Ohio, and needs to collect about 500 units of blood a day to meet patient need in more than 60 hospitals. In addition to providing blood to our community, the American Red Cross also provides relief to victims of disaster, trains millions in lifesaving skills, serves as a communication link between U.S. military members and their families, and assists victims of international disasters or conflicts.06/13AP282
# # #
|< Prev||Next >|