Press the play button to hear the latest news from THE REGION.
Many people including a police officer have and are receiving email notifications being passed from friend to friend again throughout the United States and it has now hit LaPorte County.
The email they are receiving is a warning you may get a message on your answering machine which asks you to return a call to a number beginning with area code 809. The reason you are asked to call varies, it can be to receive information about a family member who is ill, to telling you someone has been arrested, died or to finally let you know you have won a wonderful prize. In each case, you are told to call the 809 area code and number right away. Since there are so many new area codes people are unknowingly returning these calls.
HERE IS THE SCARE
If you call from the United States you will either get s long recorded message, or someone that asks you to hold on for as long as possible to increase the charges. Either way you apparently can be charged anywhere from $2,435 per minute! Because this area code is from the British Virgin Islands (Bahamas) this area code is similar to a “Pay Per Call” number that is not covered under U.S. Regulations like 900 numbers.
HERE IS THE REAL DEAL
Although the basics of the “809 Area Code” scam were once real, this email has become one of the most over publicized online scares and has continually been circulating on the internet for the last ten years. The warnings have grown out of proportion from the scare to the amount of money you will be charged.
HERE IS MY ADVICE
· Not every phone number in the 809 area code is part of this scam.
· This scam can and has been used with other area codes.
· The amount of money involved has become greatly exaggerated as the email circulates.
· This scam is no longer very common, the average U.S. resident is unlikely to ever encounter it.
· We are becoming more knowledgeable all the time on scams and frauds and hopefully we can all work together to help and educate our neighbors and friends.
# # #
|< Prev||Next >|