Press the play button to hear the latest news from THE REGION.
The Region Stop Team, made up of full and part time officers from throughout Lake County is supported by the Lake County Prosecutor's Office, the U.S. Attorney's Office as well as crime mapping and analytical support by Indiana University Northwest.
According to a press release from the East Chicago Police Department, the Region Stop Team is comprised of full time officers from the Hammond, Gary, Lake County Sheriff and the East Chicago Police Departments. Part time members include the Munster, St. John, Highland, Griffith, Schererville, Dyer, University of Indiana- Northwest Campus (IUN), Whiting and the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District (NICTD). The effort is supported by the Lake County Prosecutor’s Office, the United States Attorney’s Office as well as crime mapping and analytical support by IUN.
The team initiated on August 20, 2013 and through October, 2013, the team has recorded the following statistical accomplishments:
- 390 Traffic stops
- 178 Suspicious events
- 107 arrests
- Recovered over $13,552 in United States Currency (USC) for seizure
- Recovered 16 firearms
Lake County K 9 officers as well as air support from the Gary Police Department and the Lake County Sheriff’s Department assisted in the apprehension.
While attempting to locate Fields, officers observed another individual to be in the area who was urinating in a public alley. This subject was approached and also fled on foot, but was captured shortly thereafter. He was found in possession of marijuana, packaged in dealer type quantities and was taken into custody. The subject has been turned over to the Gary Drug Unit for further investigation.
Shortly after this arrest, officers attempted to stop a vehicle in the area of 13th and Van Buren, Gary, Indiana. The driver threw a bag out of the vehicle, later found to be suspected marijuana, and then took off at a high rate of speed. The vehicle proceeded south from 13th on Van Buren and then crashed into a “No Parking” sign, at which time the driver fled on foot.
Lake County K 9 officers again responded and after a foot pursuit, the subject, Christopher Lee Sallie, black male, 29 years of age from Gary, Indiana, was arrested and charges are now being sought for dealing in marijuana, resisting law enforcement, failure of duty and driving while suspended. Officers recovered suspected marijuana, a scale and plastic bags associated with the distribution of drugs and $510 USC.
In total, the team arrested 8 individuals in Gary. In addition to the 3 described above, they are as follows:
- Devin Miles, black male, a 25 year old Gary resident, wanted on charges filed by the Hobart Police Department
- Warren Greene, black male, a 23 year old Gary resident, wanted on charges filed by the Hammond Police Department
- Curt Simmons, black male, a 27 year old Gary resident, wanted on charges filed by the Gary Police Department
- Joseph Bishop III, black male, a 22 year old Gary resident, arrested for felony fleeing when he failed to curb for a traffic violation and was arrested in the 3300 block of Pennsylvania
- Alice Bryant Walker, black female, a 35 year old Gary resident who was arrested in the 2400 block of Broadway for operating a vehicle with a suspended drivers license
- The responded to shots being fired in the area of 150th and Magoun, East Chicago, and assisted in the arrests of 7 suspected individuals
- A traffic stop at 49th and Washington, Gary, resulted in the recovery of marijuana, a scale and approximately 3 grams of crack cocaine, packaged in distribution amounts
- State Parole agents requested the assistance in dealing with a home check of a parolee, who was found to be in possession of a firearm. That matter has been referred to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
- A traffic stop in the area of 4300 Olcott, East Chicago, resulted in the recovery of 238 grams of powder cocaine and nearly 4 grams of marijuana
- A traffic stop at 6th and Madison in Gary found the driver to be a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. Charges are pending
- A suspicious person in the area of the 4500 block of Van Buren, Gary, was found to be a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. Charges are pending
- A traffic stop in the 4800 block of Carolina, Gary, found 2 convicted felons present in the vehicle and both were armed with firearms, charges are pending
- The team assisted the Hammond Police Department in their investigation and arrest of 2 individuals involved in dealing with stolen metal, which had been removed from a location near 7th and Alabama in Gary
- The team was assigned to patrol the Hessville section of Hammond, following a series of armed robberies that had been taking place. As a result, Hammond and STOP Team officers arrested 2 subjects, recovered evidence linking them to the crimes and charges are now being pursued.
- The team also assisted Schererville detectives with their investigation of armed robberies that had taken place at an ATM and at a residence in their city. The team canvassed a neighborhood in Hammond and located a possible subject in Gary
|< Prev||Next >|