region-news
Flash is not supported on this device. If you wish to listen to this audio, you must download and play an mp3 using an mp3 player on your device. CLICK HERE

Press the play button to hear the latest news from THE REGION.


Region-News-Team-Black-Logo

Officials say Tragic Fire Might not have Occurred

Share this post

 Hammond Fire


While propane fueled space heaters are the suspected cause of the Hammond home fire that took the lives of three young children in the 600 block of Sibley St. last Wednesday night, city officials now say a home inspection might have kept it from happening. 
 
City Attorney Kristina Kantar is quoted in the Times as saying residences must have basic utilities to be considered fit for habitation. NIPCO reports that gas and electricity service was disconnected in the spring due to nonpayment. Kantar says the home's landlord has not allowed the city to inspect the building, and had it been inspected, the residence would most likely have been declared uninhabitable therefore preventing the tragic blaze.
Read more about this story at:  http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/official-inspection-might-have-prevented-tragic-hammond-fire/article_e4860fd8-1173-5a36-a6ac-0493e17d2002.html


(Photo: courtesy of Karl Berner)


Meet-The-Team

Laura-WAKE Scott-WAKE Brent-WAKE
LAURA WALUSZKO
Region News Team
SCOTT ROSENBERG
Region News Team
BRENT BROWN
Region News Team
Jay-WAKE Karl-WAKE Annie-WAKE
JAY STEVENS
Region News Team
KARL BERNER
Region News Team
ANNIE FOX
Region News Team

Recent-Newscast

Flash is not supported on this device. If you wish to listen to this audio, you must download and play an mp3 using an mp3 player on your device. CLICK HERE